Friday, November 11, 2005

Atheism vs. Agnosticism and Other Crap About My Friday

Hi. Happy Remembrance day. Did you know that the word "remembrance" does not have the word "remember" in it? Something to think about.

So today I was walking to school when I passed a table full of stuff in bags. Some guy shouted to me "hey, want some free stuff?" I've never turned down free stuff in my life, so I asked him what the catch was. He told me that all I had to do was fill out a survey. I like surveys too, so I snatched up my free bag and grabbed a pen.

Then I found the catch: they were religious nuts trying to convert people. The questions on the survey were about religion and spirituality. As with most religion surveys, "atheist" and "agnostic" were two separate entries and you weren't supposed to check more than one.

moses

Let me go on a bit of a rant. It is completely possible to be both atheist and agnostic (here is a nice article about this issue). The reason is that atheism deals with belief about God(s), while agnosticism deals with knowledge about God(s). I do not believe that God exists (atheist), but I also do not know whether God exists or not (agnostic). In other words, it's highly unlikely that God exists (there is no evidence for God, and most concepts of God logically contradict themselves), but I don't know for sure either way. Maybe tomorrow, scientists will discover incontrovertible evidence for the existence of God. And maybe tomorrow a magical fairy will fly into my bedroom with a few million dollars and all the cheesecake I can eat, but I'm not holding my breath.

If you want to get more picky, you can divide things into weak atheism and strong atheism, then weak agnosticism and strong agnosticism. Pickier still, you can point out that everybody is an atheist in some way: do Christians not deny the existence of Zeus and Aphrodite?

Anyway, I bet you're dying to know what was in the bag of free stuff. Obviously there was a cheap bible in there, but also a nifty book about Jesus, a CD, and a DVD. If only they included some cheesecake, I might have been converted.

Oh, also, I have finally started running participants for my thesis. Yay! Four down, ninety six to go.

Now I sit at home, playing with Willow. She's becoming bored with her toys and can only have fun by being chased around by me. Here is a picture of her being bored with her ball:

11-11-05_1856

And here is a picture of her being bored with her ball, her rope toy, and a sock:

11-11-05_1857


Isn't she cuuuuute?

1 comment:

Harry J. Sachz said...

I know that god exists!.. The flying spaghetti monster has been with us since the beginning of time!

http://www.venganza.org/